November is Men’s Health Month in the UK and an opportunity for people to discuss health issues that affect men across the country.
According to the Samaritans, men in the UK are three times more likely to take their own lives than women – making it the biggest killer of men under the age of 50.
Dr Imogen Staveley, Clinical Lead at NHS Warwickshire North Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG), said: “Men may find it difficult to seek help for mental health issues like anxiety or low mood but those that do come to get help really benefit from it and so I would encourage any man worried about their mental health to seek help early”
“Men’s Health Month is a great opportunity to start a conversation around your mental health. Speaking to your GP or friends and family about how you are feeling is a great place to start.”
There are a number of support services available in Warwickshire including:
· Samaritans: call 116 123 free 24/7
· Safe Havens: Out of hours mental health support in Warwickshire,
· available to anyone aged 16+. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
· PAPYRUS: Free service for young people. Call 0800 068 4141 9am-10pm Mon-Fri /2pm-10pm weekends or visit www.papyrus-uk.org
· Survivors of Bereavement by Suicide (SOBS): call 0300 111 5065 9am-9pm Monday to Friday or visit www.uksobs.org
· MIND Coventry and Warwickshire: Help and support for mental health problems. Call 024 7655 2847 or visit www.cwmind.org.uk
· Change Grow Live Coventry: Free and confidential drug and alcohol service for adults, families and affected others. Call 02476 010241 9am-5pm Mon/ 9am – 8pm Tue/ 9am – 5pm Wed-Fri or email email@example.com
· Compass: Substance misuse service for children and young people in Warwickshire. Call 01788 578 227 9am – 5pm Mon-Thur 9am – 4.30pm Fri
· The Recovery and Wellbeing Academy: Free courses and workshops to help people in their recovery. Call 0300 303 2626 or visit www.recoveryandwellbeing.covwarkpt.nhs.uk
· The Kaleidoscope: Suicide Bereavement Support Services. Call 0121 565 5665 or visit www.kaleidoscopeplus.org.uk
· Veterans’ Mental Health TIL Service: Call 0300 323 0137 24/7
· RISE: Emotional wellbeing and mental health services for children and young people. Call 0300 200 2021 8am – 6pm Mon-Fri or visit www.cwrise.com
· It Takes Balls To Talk: Campaign to encourage people to talk about mental health issues. Visit ittakesballstotalk.com
Visit the NHS website to find out about the services available for anyone struggling with their mental health. https://www.warwickshire.gov.uk/mentalhealth and https://apps.warwickshire.gov.uk/api/documents/WCCC-630-1556 are also great sources of advice and information.